I AM

A lover of Jesus, wife, mommy of many ( 8 + 3 . . . ), radio show host, artist, culinary inspired chica, avid reader, wonder-lust in search of good food. drink and cozy places to read.

a wonderlust in search of travel

Friday, May 16, 2014




Author: Donalyn Miller
Genre: Nonfiction - Education

Publisher: Jossey-Bass
Publication Date: March 16, 2009
Source: Bought both copies at Barnes and Nobles

I love the front covers, as well as the titles. A little girl and boy nose nestled in a book.

Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. She helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read.

Review:
I absolutely loved this book. I have my own copy to write in and it is so plastered with post-its.

Honestly Donalyn is the Language Arts teacher I wish I had in 6th grade. I have 8 budding children  in my home and what I wouldn't give for her to be their 6th grade teacher!!
 
After I read these books I have decided to give copies to the childrens current year teacher as well as their teachers for the next year. I figure if I do this each year ( moving on to giving it to the teachers soon to come in their lives) then maybe the fire will start and the system will change here within some schools in Florida. 

I have noticed even with my own children, they get bored at school with reading. I am an avid reader and before they begin school they are lovers of books, but sure enough let them hit 2nd grade, they HATE to read??? What is up with that??

Donalyn helps me see where the problems begin. As a parent I have decided to be VERY proactive in their reading lives. I am so excited about this summer and the years to come. I wish I would have had this book way back when I was teaching my oldest. This book is a so needed nugget of TRUTH just waiting to be grasped.

I devoured this book in one week.

Thank you, Donalyn Miller, for helping me to create in my home an environment that will encourage lifelong readers. Also, for helping me place your books into the hands of teachers, so they can create classrooms across St. Augustine, Florida that inspire real readers. Readers that love and enjoy reading EVERYWHERE!

Overall:
A fantastic read! I highly recommend it to teachers who love reading and want to create a classroom of lifelong readers. Mrs. Miller writes in such a way that makes you feel like you're having tea with an old friend, books piled high, fascinating stories brewing within.  Her love of reading flows out of this book and it is so insatiably contagious, you can't help but catch it and want to pass it on. Get your copy of this book now, you won't be disappointed!

I rate this book:

No comments:

Post a Comment